Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Black Lake's Fishing Journey

Woke up the next morning energized and ready to go. I got out of my sleeping bag, put down the stuffed trout fish I was cuddling with and went to the door to look at the calm lake wavy lake. I remember every morning as a kid that Black Lake was always smooth as glass.

Woke up before sunrise!!! 

The sun is coming! What a beautiful scene. 
So what to do today??--Hard question to answer...

Todd went fly fishing and.....

Got a nice bass...too bad it wasn't season...
After fishing a little we decided to kayak a 1/2 mile over to another bay, we hoped to be screened from the wind since we weren't too smart with packing warm clothes this week.

Throw him back!

Todd being super successful, a fat sunny! 
There was a lot of little sunfish, blue gill, and caught a couple of Crappy (the minimum is 9 inches-ours weren't long enough). We were getting a little cold and hungry so decided to paddle back to the island.
Todd and his big Northern Pike 
Close up of the Northern--22 inches 


My first bull head on the island----nice belly
We go out on the crimped lake and Todd again is amazing in his carroty kayak.

Caught this baby on a spoon!
When we fish on the island we throw a couple more poles in with bobbers and some small fish to see what we can catch. I am casting a spoon and notice one of the lines goes tight, the bobber goes down (in my head  I am like awesome!) I call over to Todd and then the bobber comes back up (fail). The bobber stays up but keeps getting further and further out. At the same second, like we were talking silently in our heads together, we realized the bobber isn't attached anymore.  I took the pole and start reeling it in, this fish is putting up a ferocious fight. I am reeling it in, letting slack out, reeling in, letting slack out, the fish hits the surface and "OHHH MY GOSH!!!!" this thing is a big one!!!! Todd is like "whoooooa" and to impress him, it means something---I got to land this Bowfin. Todd has the net ready, only if I can get this big girl close. I fight, fight, and fight, finally land it into Todd's net.....

My biggest fish EVER--Bowfin 27 inches, 8 pounds 
I have never been so excited in my life!!!!! 

Todd with the big girl!!!
I had time for one more fish before the sun really set.



He was a little Bowfin!


Sunset on the second night! 
Even after sunset we still don't give up. 

Holy belly on the bullhead! 

If you would like Black Lake from the dude above check out my brother's blog, Flyyak.



3 comments:

  1. And a nice fish it is! We have to get the record beat soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a beast :) Nice work. Those bowfin can fight like crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They can put up a good fight! Who can turn down a great fish fight?

    ReplyDelete